Review of bareMinerals Matte Foundation
This is Bare Escentuals’ new matte formula of its original bareMinerals foundation. It is supposed to absorb excess oil without drying the skin. It is almost meant to improve the appearance of the skin, minimizing pores and promoting cell turnover with their Rare Minerals Active Soil Complex. The container has been redesigned with a ‘click, lock, go’ cap so that there are no spills. This powder foundation also has an SPF 15 with no chemicals or preservatives. You can see a full list of ingredients on the product page, using the link provided below.
Bare Escentuals’ research by an independent research company says that
93% of users saw minimized pores
85% experienced improved skin clarity
89% said they had reduced shine
Summary of Reviews:
Bare Escentuals’ line of makeup is still one of the most popular for people with acne. The original bareMinerals foundation has had extremely high ratings. This new formula is slightly different since it is supposed to provide a matte finish and control oil more. Most users with oily skin said that the matte formula did a great job of controlling shine, much better than the original formula. It was a little bit drying for those with combination or dry skin. The coverage is also very good and buildable, though it requires using more of the product compared to the original formula. Users said that the colors were a little different from the original formula foundation, with a slightly orange undertone in some cases. Then again, for other users the slightly different colors matched their skin tone better. Users also said that the foundation lasted a long time with less retouching needed than the original.
Everyone loved the new ‘click, lock, go’ container since the containers on the original foundation could be very messy with product getting spilled and wasted. On the downside, the price is higher on this new formula while the amount you get for that price is less. Personally, having spilled almost half the container on the floor once, I think the new cap is one of the best features of this formula.
This foundation works best for oily skin, or the oily parts of combination skin. People with normal, combination or dry skin can stick with the original formula and just use mineral veil on top to set it. As with any foundation, particularly the mineral ones, bareMinerals foundation is most effective and looks best when applied over a primer. Many users said they liked the one that Bare Escentuals sell, Prime Time. There are many primers out there that claim to be good for oily skin and I will review some of the top ones in separate posts.
- Good, buildable coverage
- Doesn’t aggravate acne or cause breakouts
- Controls oil effectively for many hours, with less blotting needed
- Very natural looking
- Feels light on the skin
- Great new cap design prevents spilling and waste
- The colors are a little different from the original formula, works better for some people and worse for others
- Need to use more product for effective coverage, though some used it over original formula
- Price is $3 higher for 3 grams less product, so have to see if it is worth it for oil control
Best for these skin types:
- Very oily or oily skin
- Combination skin might want to use in oily areas or mix with original formula
Tips for application:
- Always use a primer, as with any foundation, for best effect and staying power
- If you are very oily, try putting Mineral Veil on first, then bareMinerals foundation, then more Mineral Veil
- Can mix the matte formula with the original formula to correct the color and give more coverage while still getting oil control
Where to buy:
bareMinerals MATTE SPF 15 Foundation can be purchased at SkinStore.com, often with a discount of some kind. You can also buy it at some other online makeup sites, specialty cosmetic stores, or from Amazon by clicking the link below:
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!