Do you love playing around with makeup, trying out different looks, or doing makeovers on your friends? Are you passionate about the idea of doing what you love as a career? If you are interested in learning how to become a makeup artist from the comfort of your own home, then this review is for you!
If you have been a reader of my blog for a while, then you might have read my previous post about the University of Makeup. I wrote that review after my first experience with their Basic Makeup Course which, as the name suggests, has a series of basic makeup video tutorials that take you through all the steps you need for applying your own makeup. However, they also have two other courses. One is for people that want to learn how to apply bridal makeup. It includes a series of video tutorials that demonstrate how to achieve different types of bridal looks, such as romantic, modern, or Asian. The other is an extensive series of video tutorials that covers absolutely everything.
Learn how to become a professional makeup artist online
The University of Makeup’s third, and largest, program is called the Full Makeup Course. This is the series that teaches you everything you need to know to become a professional makeup artist, all through online video tutorials. At the end, you have to fulfill specific requirements before receiving an official makeup artist certificate.
What the Full Makeup Course Includes:
- Access to all the videos from the Basic and Bridal Makeup Courses, along with many more.
- The complete course consists of 67 video tutorials (they just added another 19 videos before I published this review)!
- Additional lessons cover everything from photo shoot makeup and corrective makeup to how to give a makeup lesson and how to apply makeup to different types of face features and skin.
- Free professional makeup kit
- Big discounts in their extensive cosmetics store (free shipping included)
- Tons of other freebies, including MAC face charts, a slew of e-books, and makeup artistry templates
- Personal support from a professional makeup artist
- A professional makeup artist certificate, after completing all the videos and requirements
Important note: While it is not required to get a certificate, if you want to receive the professional certification you will need to reproduce a number of looks and send those pictures to the University of Makeup. You also need to complete an online exam.
Before I tell you about my own experience with the videos, here’s a look at their promotional video. You might not want to watch the full video, but there’s some great before and after images of what you will learn (plus some fun music).
My own experience:
Since there are so many videos in the course, I didn’t go through the complete course yet and get the certificate. However, I did watch a large number of the videos and was extremely impressed with the quality and professionalism. These are not the types of videos you see on YouTube where someone just sets up a camera and puts some makeup on themselves or someone else. This is a professional makeup artist walking you through every step of the way. You learn about which makeup to use, the correct brushes, and all different techniques. You get to see the artist totally transform herself.
Some of the best tips I got out of the course had to do with working with my own imperfections. I now know that I need to put eyeliner just on my lower lid to make my eyes look bigger. I also concentrate my darker eyeshadow just on the outer part of my upper eyelid to accentuate my eyes when wearing my eyeglasses. I’m extremely nearsighted, so my eyes can look really tiny otherwise.
- 67 video tutorials cover everything from basics to bridal to achieving celebrity looks
- Professional makeup artist certificate
- Very clear instruction and visual examples
- Can do everything at home
- Cheap compared to going to a physical makeup artist school
- Loads of free ebooks on all types of beauty topics, delivered to your email regularly
- Expensive if you just want the videos and are not interested in becoming a professional, but far cheaper than going to a makeup school
- As with any video tutorial, it’s not quite the same as having a live instructor who watches you apply the makeup
I’m sure I’ve missed something, but there are so many features in the course that I couldn’t list them all.
If you really want to learn how to become a makeup artist, online is one of the easiest and most convenient ways to do it. I highly recommend that you go check out the Full Makeup Course at University of Makeup for something truly exceptional and professional. Actually, I love it just because I can go watch a video any time I want on any makeup technique or look that I want to play around with that day.
P.S. Don’t forget that you can also get the basic makeup video tutorials in the Basic Makeup Course.